Climate change and energy and water shortages have been in the news recently, and you may be wondering what you can do to be an eco friendly member of society. These small steps are easy to incorporate into your lifestyle, and they can help the environment.
- Use reusable grocery bags when you go to the supermarket so that fewer disposable plastic bags end up in landfills or the ocean.
- Set your thermostat to be a degree cooler in the winter and a degree warmer in the summer. You probably will not notice the difference, but your bill may be lower
- Buy locally whenever possible to reduce the environmental cost of transporting produce on trucks that pollute the air. Take jute bags to carry produce home from your local farmers’ market.
- Make your car more fuel efficient by keeping the tires pumped up, getting a tune-up and avoiding slamming on the brakes repeatedly.
- Walk to do your nearby errands so that you do not burn gasoline by driving. Carry your library books or outgoing mail in sturdy, comfortable burlap tote bags.
- Replace old incandescent light bulbs with lower-energy fluorescent bulbs, and turn off the lights when you leave the room.
- Recycle newspapers, plastic bottles, and cans. If your city doesn’t pick up these items from your home, take them to a recycling center in
- Unplug electronics when you are not using them, since they use electricity when they are plugged in even if they are off.
- Redo your landscaping to make it more eco-friendly by planting native plants and avoiding the use of artificial pesticides.
- Buy and use environmentally friendly cleaning products that contain only natural, non-toxic and biodegradable ingredients instead of harmful chemicals.
There are so many small changes you can make in your everyday life to help the environment in a big way!
Pay it Forward!
Get some trendy custom cotton totes for you and some friends. A fun and affordable way to get everyone going green!